18th ANNUAL CELEBRITY- CARVED
OCTOBER 24-27, 2013
HOW Bidding Works
Thank you for joining our On-line portion of the Celebrity/Business Pumpkin Auction for 2013. This auction is unique in that bidding is not limited to or ends On-line. What does this mean for you?
- You are not only competing with bids placed by other On-Line Bidders but also bids are placed at one of the four mall locations in Ottawa. The Mall Managers update the On-line bids with the Mall bids so that the highest bid value is up to date.
- You can choose to bid only on those Pumpkins at your nearest Mall by clicking on the Mall Name to the left of the page. Otherwise you can check out all pumpkins. Each one will clearly identify where the pumpkin is located. See below for Mall details.
- At 2 p.m. on Sunday 27th October the On-Line auction will close and the Lead or Highest bidder will be emailed. This email identifies you as the current highest bidder not the ultimate winner.
- Mall bidding closes at 3.30 p.m. on Sunday 27th October. We suggest that if you do not wish to be outbid that you go to the location of your most valued pumpkin and continue bidding on the bidding sheets. If you have more than one Pumpkin bid and they are located at different malls, mention this to the Mall Manager and they will communicate your continued bidding with the other Mall Manager.
- In the event of a Bidding war between two bidders present, the bidding sheet will be removed 5 minutes before the end of the auction. At 3.30 p.m. the two bidders will be allowed to submit a blind bid for what they wish to bid for the pumpkin. The highest bid will be the ultimate winning bid. The value of this bid will be confidential unless the highest bidder provides this information to the 2nd bidder.
- If you are not out bid at the Mall and are the ultimate winner you will be contacted by 4 p.m. by telephone where you can provide your credit card details. Please provide the telephone number that you can be reached at this time. You then have until the Mall closes to collect your pumpkins unless other arrangements are made during the telephone conversation. Depending on these instructions we will either hold onto your pumpkin or dispose of it and mail your package if it is tickets etc.
- In the event that we have not been able to establish contact with you by speaking to you in person or you calling us back by Noon on Tuesday 29th October, you will have forfeited your right as winner and the Pumpkin and prize package will be offered to the 2nd highest bidder. The Children At Risk telephone number is 613-741-8255 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The value of the prize package does not include the value of the pumpkin unless it has accessories. In the event that your pumpkin rots and is disposed of you may be offered an alternative pumpkin but this is not guaranteed. You will get the decoration accessories as part of your package.
How can I pay for my Prize Package?
Children At Risk accepts Cash, Visa, Mastercard and AMEX for prize package payments.
Who are the Celebrity Carvers?
Newpaper, Radio, Television and Sports personalities along with Ward, Provincial and Federal Politicians and any businesses or private individuals that wish to participate have graciously taken the time to carve or decorate a pumpkin and provide prize packages to tempt bidders. All funds raised are to Children At Risk as all 3rd party companies have generously provided their goods or services.
Why doesn’t the on-line bidder win the prize?
Children At Risk’s on-line auction is different from most on-line auctions in that the auction does not end with the winning bidder on-line. At 2 p.m. on Sunday 28th Oct the highest bidder is announced on-line but bidding continues at the Four Malls for another 90 minutes allowing time for on-line bidders to get to the Mall to continue bidding. The reason for this is that pumpkins are perishable and we need winners to take them home with their prize package. We suggest that if you really want to win that you go to the Mall where the pumpkin is located and continue to bid there.
Why does the same person keeping out bidding themselves?
As well as on-line, bidding also takes place at the Malls throughout the period and these are added to the on-line bids by the Mall Managers under the Mall ID to keep the highest bid current.
What if I win the prize package and can’t get to the Mall before closing?
All ultimate winners will be contacted by Telephone. At this time you can make arrangements to collect the pumpkin either later that evening or from the Office on Monday or Tuesday.
What are the closing times of each Mall?
Carlingwood Shopping Centre - 6 p.m.
Lincoln Field Shopping Centre - 5.30 p.m.
Merivale Mall - 5 p.m.
Place D’Orleans - 5 p.m.
What is the location of each Mall?
Carlingwood Shopping Centre, 2011 Carlingwood Ave, Ottawa. K2A 1H2.
Lincoln Field Shopping Centre, 2525 Carlingwood Ave, Ottawa. K2B 7Z2
Merivale Mall, 1642 Merivale Road, Nepean. K2G 4A1
Place D’Orleans, 110 Place D’Orleans Drive, Ottawa. K1C 2L9
What happens if I can’t collect my pumpkin or do not want my pumpkin?
Pumpkins will be kept until Tuesday evening at the Children At Risk offices. After this time they will be disposed of. At the time of winning if you don’t wish to have the pumpkin please say so and it will be given to someone else. On occasions pumpkins rot and have to be disposed of during the auction period. This is outside of our control and we will try and replace it with another pumpkin but do not guarantee this.
Can I be mailed my Prize Package ?
If you do not want the pumpkin and the prize package are tickets or easily mailed, these can be mailed to you at the discretion of the Children At Risk office. If decided after the Mall has contacted you on Sunday, please call them to make these arrangements at 613-741-8255.
- WHAT:Local Celebrities, Politicians, Media Personalities and community-minded businesses will “carve for the cause” – in the name of Autism! Over 100 pumpkins will be transformed to Jack-O-Lantern works of art for one of Ottawa’s most popular, annual, seasonal fundraising events! Helping to raise funds for Autistic children, Celebrity-Carvers include City of Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, Ottawa 67’s Players, Coach, GM & Owner, local MPP’s & MP’s, Sports Alumni Jock Climie & Shaun Van Allen to name just a few. You can vote for the best pumpkin or your favourite personality by donating your spare change, as well as bidding on Pumpkin Prize Packages (on-site & on-line
- WHEN:Thursday, October 24 to Sunday, October 27, 2013
- WHERE:Merivale Mall, Carlingwood Shopping Centre, Place d’Orléans and Lincoln Fields
- WHY:For over 34 years, Children at Risk has been helping children diagnosed within the Autism Spectrum Disorders & their families in the Ottawa Region. October is Autism Awareness Month and, to recognize this, Children at Risk will be hosting the pumpkin displays. Proceeds will fund Community-Based Special Projects such as our Summer Camp, Camp Kaleidoscope, Family Support Groups, Information Seminars and Educational Training Workshops - assists solely supported by fundraising and donations. To date, this event has raised $93,772!
FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL: Brenda Reisch at 613 261-4442
JOIN US AT 10 AM, THURSDAY, OCTOBER 24, MERIVALE MALL (center court)
AS THE CELEBRITIES BRING IN THEIR PUMPKINS! Oct 15, 2013
Note: **SOME SPACES STILL LEFT FOR CELEBRITY-CARVERS – CALL US!!**
This year's carvers include: City of Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson, Ottawa Senators Foundation, Spartacat, Senatron and Alumni Shaun Van Allen, Ottawa 67’s Owner Jeff Hunt, Brian “Killer” Kilrea & Coach/GM Chris Byrne, MP’s Pierre Poilievre, John Baird, David McGuinty & Royal Galipeau, MPP’s Yasir Naqvi, Bob Chiarelli, Lisa MacLeod & Phil McNeely, Carter & Sandra (KISS FM), Sue Sherring (Ottawa Sun), West End Academy Beauty School, Ian Black & Teri Loretto (CBC Television), Brother Bob & Nida (98.5 The Jewel), Lianne, Jeff, Melissa & Sarah(CTV Morning Live), Melanie & Cub (93.9 BOB FM), Jack May Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Jock Climie (CFL Alumni & TSN Analyst), J.J. Clarke & Kate Eggins (CTV Television), The Morning HOT Tub(The New HOT 89.9), Jill Skinner, Deputy Chief, Ottawa Police Services, Anthony Furey (Sun Media), Leslie Grant’s Pampered Chef, Stuntman Stu, Angie & Trisha – Mornings (Majic 100 FM), Heather Ray & Megan Sollars – boom 99.7 FM, Dylan Black & Amy Volume – The Bear 106.9 FM, Lowell Green, Steve Madely & Shelley McLean (CFRA AM), Mike Sutherland (TSN 1200), Jen Traplin, Chelsea Miller & The LIVE 88.5 Startup – Katfish, Dave & Amal (LIVE 88.5), City of Ottawa Councillors Bob Monette, Maria McRae, Diane Deans, Keith Egli, Mark Taylor & Jan Harder, Metroland Media, Nepean-Barrhaven News, Orleans News & Ottawa West News, Lesia Gilbert’s AVON, Speedy St. Laurent, Orleans Family Dentistry, Sue’s Sweets & Within The Grain, Family Harmonies Familiales, Ottawa Safety Council, Paul Rushforth Team, Jim Durrell Capital Dodge, Tiny Hoppers Riverside South, Rockland, Findlay Creek, Barrhaven, Orleans, Kanata North & Bridlewood, Lisa Zanon-Speech Therapy, Kelley Matheson’s Epicure Selections, Western Union Business Solutions, Cora’s Lincoln Fields, Il Paradiso Spa & Strandz Hair Design, P.A.M.’s Coffee & Tea Lincoln Fields, Instead of Flowers, Wine Kitz, Minto, HostedBizz Inc., Boston Pizza Orleans, Home For Supper, Wine Rack Lincoln Fields, Jennifer Chamberlain – Royal Lepage Gale Real Estate, Suzart Productions, Precious Bloom Baby Boutique, Causeway Work Centre, Orleans Extreme Auto Care, The Garlic King, BMO Orleans, Orleans Napa Autopro, Starbucks Orleans, CP Business Solutions, Sky High Snow Removal, Derick Fage & Lois Lee – “Daytime” & Mr. Hollywood (Rogers TV), Vito Pilieci, Wayne Scanlan, Joanne Laucius, Lynn Saxberg & Chole Fedio (Ottawa Citizen), Doc & Woody and Eric the Intern (CHEZ 106.1 FM), Country 101.1 FM, Ottawa 67’s Alternate Captains Ryan Van Stralen, Taylor Fielding & Joseph Blandisi